Sustainable Metal Buildings
We are committed to environmentally-friendly construction products and practices.
We support our customers who are striving to be environmentally-friendly or are seeking the long-term cost savings associated with energy-efficient solutions. You can count on Metallic to guide projects designed to achieve green building certification and create a sustainable metal building.
The Advantages of a Metal Building for your Green Project
When it comes to sustainability and energy efficiency, there’s no gray area. Codes are firm and standards are straightforward; this also often applies to the budget. As you start looking for construction material, you will find that steel is hands down the best product for a green project. Metal buildings also require less material than traditional buildings, as so are often the more cost-effective solution. Learn more about the sustainability benefits of steel buildings below.
Steel is Sustainable
Steel is a sustainable solution from raw material extraction through manufacturing and shipping. It is composed of a large percentage of recycled materials and is completely recyclable at the end of its life, reducing the amount of waste that enters the landfills. It features a high strength-to-weight ratio, reducing the amount of materials used in construction.
Steel delivers long-lasting durability, meaning that fewer materials will have to be replaced over the life of your metal building. The pre-engineered design of metal buildings helps reduce material waste and shorten construction time, minimizing negative impacts at the construction site.
Sustainable Design Options
There are several design options for your sustainable steel building that can improve its overall energy efficiency.
- Cool Metal Roofing: Choose from a selection of cool metal roof colors designed to reflect solar radiation instead of absorbing heat into the building, thereby reducing heating and cooling costs. It can also help reduce the urban heat island effect, cooling surrounding areas.
- Solar Panels: Easily install solar panels on your metal roof to reduce environmental impacts.
- High-Performance Insulation: Pre-engineered steel buildings can accommodate high-performance insulation designed to improve the energy efficiency of your building. Choose from various types of insulation to fit your application, from insulated metal panels to spray foam.
- Daylighting: Metal buildings offer flexibility in design that allows for easy placement of windows and LTP panels, maximizing natural lighting and reducing the need for electrical lighting throughout the day.
The LEED rating system was developed by the U.S. Green Buildings Council to certify sustainable buildings. Our engineered steel buildings can contribute to earning the following credits:
- Sustainable Sites (SS) – The pre-engineered design of steel buildings allows for minimal disruptions to the work site. Since the components are custom-engineered at the manufacturing facility and arrive onsite ready to install, there is less work to be done at the construction site. This allows for a smaller and safer work area and a shortened construction time. The installation of cool metal roofing can also positively impact your building site by reducing the urban heat island effect.
- Energy & Atmosphere (EA) – Metal buildings can be designed with an energy efficient building envelope. Some factors that contribute to the energy efficient performance of the building envelope include effective insulation, reduced air leakage, and high-performance accessories. Consult with designed and installers to create the most efficient building envelope.
- Materials & Resources (MR) – LEED buildings are required to reduce waste by recycling, reusing or recovering building materials. The pre-engineered design of steel buildings helps to reduce waste, and any waste that is